Friday 17 September 2010

Interview with Jamie Brittain (aka Skins God)

After asking Heather Hogan some questions about her writing life I decided that who better to ask about Skins and fanfiction/art than none other than Skins God, Jamie Brittain. He is, after all, one half of the team that thought up and created the show in the first place. He is part of the reason this blog was created and he is part of the reason we're all sat here at our computers discussing Skins, creating Skins art and writing about our beloved favourite characters. Here's what was said:


With Skins only broadcasting 8 - 10 weeks of the year, what challenges do you have to overcome in order to keep fans connected with the show whilst it is off air?

Time mostly, because although the actual show is only on air for a couple of months, the creative team is generally at work for most of the year, meaning time to do extra material to keep people interested is limited
But we try something different every year, and try to put everything into it.

What role do you think the fans have in keeping themselves and others connected with the show?

Well, to an extent, the fans are very good at keeping themselves connected, with fan fiction, speculation, discussion etc. Despite the show's vast web presence, I think a lot of viewers come to the show through word of mouth and that's really useful.

Fanart and fanfiction can be very controversial - many creators don't like seeing their characters being used by other people. What is your opinion on the subject, given that you proudly advocate Skins as being 'fan friendly'?

I really don't mind what people do with fan fiction and fan art, in fact I have read and enjoyed fan fiction. I think there is a very clear distinction amongst the fans between what we do and what they do - the line between 'official' and 'unofficial' is clear. I rather like the notion of Skins having an 'Expanded Universe' in the manner of Star Wars and the such, created by fans on their own terms.

There are a lot of fangirls and boys in the Skins fandom, is there anything that used to/still makes you turn into a fanboy?

Totally. I'm a total comedy nerd, and really into bootleg recordings of comedians and stuff like that. Also, I met Alan Moore, who is my all time writing hero last month, and turned into a sweaty, nervous, stuttering fanboy. He was very nice though. Basically I'm a bit of a nerd, with pretensions to hipsterdom.

Brilliant! You say Alan Moore is your all time writing hero, have any writers and/or your dad (Bryan Elsley) had an influence on your writing style?

Dad, definitely. He pretty much taught me to write, though I'd like to think we're now very different writers. Also, people like Hubert Selby Jnr, Paul Schrader and David Lynch are massive influences on me.

With a new series and a movie just around the corner, is there anything at all you can tell us about them? Pleeease?!

Not really. Sorry. Season 5 is looking fucking awesome though (in my opinion, of course), and the movie is being written by Jack Thorne, who is the best writer in the world at the moment (that's not my opinion. That's fact) so it wont be anything but brilliant.

I really want Series 5 to be a surprise.

Which is going to be better series 5 or Skins US?

Series 5 - but then I would say that, because I'm working on this one, and Bryan is working on US. In all honesty I think they'll both be great, but they're different animals. US is mostly for people who've never seen the UK version, which doesn't mean people familiar with the show wont enjoy it, but series 5 is all new material, which to me, is just as exciting as the show skipping across the pond.

Thanks again to Jamie Brittain for taking the time to answer my questions. Thanks also to Ana, Noemi and Tracie for helping me think up/write the questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment